Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jumeirah Mosque

We went to the Jumeirah Mosque today. The government has set this mosque aside to give tours to the public during off hours. It was such a wonderful experience for all of us. Almost more of a question and answer session which was even cooler. The women were very thoughtful about their answers and I think Rory and City really understood and respected the importance the muslims place on prayer. It makes me look inward to really ask myself about my own relationship with god too. The building was basically just one big room that everyone squishes into to pray 5 times a day, and they even let a gentleman demonstrate how he prays standing then kneeling and touching the ground with his forehead. I was happy that they let us take some photos too. The building has a couple of minarets for the call to prayer and a large dome above the central room, all of which have beautiful detailed pattern work on the outside and painted patterns inside. Most of the mosques that are here in Dubai have very light coloring as well, beautiful.

2 comments:

Letty said...

I love love seeing all of the updates! What an adventure! How long will Rich's project last? It sounds exciting and I'm a little jealous of the adventure. Thanks for sharing it through pictures. I love seeing your family.

mamma locks said...

Rich's projects are continually bringing him out here and he's about to jump onto the next one soon. Was in Yemin this next one possibly Saudi Arabia. Im glad we could sneek out here for a visit before we have the baby.