Monday, August 11, 2014

Flavors full of Yin and Yang

You've heard about the amazing flavors of Vietnamese cuisine and I can attest they are all true, oh how I love the street food here. Honestly I am more cautious than I remember being in other countries but even still, these are the yummy dishes I've tried so far.
First: my favorite Bun bo Nam bo somewhat like pad thai. Rice noodles flash soaked in broth then topped with sprouts, peanuts, jerky stuff, a few crunchy things (probably crushed fried bugs or something), chili, vinegar, sugar, fish oil etc. Yum!
Second: Bun cha (Rich's fave) BBQed pork with a bowl of fish sauce broth to dip in served with a pile of fresh herbs that we don't even recognize.
Third: Hot Pots. We ate this on a boat on our lake, served piping hot with a few ingredients and a bunch more ingredients (raw chicken etc.) on the side for you to add as you like, also with a pile of fresh yummy herbs on the side.
Fourth: Pho a national favorite, served breakfast lunch and dinner. Broth with rice noodles and meat with fresh herbs on top, eaten with chopsticks. Rich just thinks its glorified ramen noodles. I love it!
Fifth: Spring rolls usually served as piles of ingredients such as prawns, slivers of cucumber, pineapple, green mango, bamboo shoots, peppers, herbs, and of course noodles. After rolled in thin rice paper you dip into fish sauce. The idea here is to capture every possible flavor sensation in every bite, making you the master of taste.
Sixth: BBQ everywhere, we went to a place where you do it yourself. A bit challenging with the babies, but super yummy and of course burning hot off the grill. (pictured above)

Really all of these dishes combine rich combinations of salt/sweet crunchy/soft  sour/spicy hot/cold etc. I suppose it's the yin and yang right? Well I'm convinced that my family would love this aspect of Vietnam because I often reflect back on my childhood. I hear my dad's voice telling me to butter every little edge of the toast, or to take the perfect sip of milk just after putting the salty side down buttered saltine cracker in my mouth. Going out to the buffet wasn't about eating until we stuffed ourselves but about enjoying a wide range of textures and flavors.  Well Grampa McClellan you pegged me, I'm realizing I really am a texture person and even a picky eater. :o)

1 comment:

This Old Farmhouse Millville said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to try many flavors and textures :) My first time eating kimchi was at your house. I don't know who ordered the very large jar that was in your fridge!